Developing For Android Using Eclipse
Note: Google now recommends using Android Studio for Android development. All of the CS lab machines have Android Studio installed. The instructions below are for anyone who still wants to use Eclipse.
On a CS Linux machine (Grad or Ugrad Net), do the following:
- Open Eclipse and choose a directory to be your workspace.
- Click Help->Install New Software
- Click Add... and enter:
- Name: Android
- 'Location: https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/
- Click Add... again and enter:
- Name: Eclipse
- 'Location: http://download.eclipse.org/releases/galileo/
- Make sure Android is selected in the "Work with:" drop down next to the Add... button
- Select the checkbox next to "Developer Tools"
- Click Next
- Click Next again
- Accept the agreement and then click Finish
- If you get a security warning, click OK
- After the install, Eclipse will ask you to restart. Choose "Yes"
- Now click Window->Preferences
- Select the Android
- Uncheck "Send usage statistics to Google" and click OK
- Click "Browse" next to SDK Location
- Browse to "/usr/local/android" and select OK
- Click "Apply" and then "OK"
Everything should now be set up for Android development.