We have various printers available for general use throughout the CS Dept.
Because of the great diversity in functionality amongst printers and people's personal systems, we can only offer support/assistance in configuring printing for only those computer systems and printers that CS IT Support maintains. We do not configure users' own systems to print to our printers.
Please see our Printing category for an overview and notes regarding printing at CS.
Also, please see the Printer Problems section at the bottom of this page.
NOTE: In the chart below, QUEUE NAME is the print queue name of the printer on our Ugrad and Masters'/Grad Lab Linux computers.
|LOCATION||MODEL||HOSTNAME||CS GRAD/UGRAD LABS LINUX QUEUE NAME||AVAILABLE TO||NOTES|
|Malone 122 (CS Undergraduate Lab)||HP LaserJet 4350||mh122prt.cs.jhu.edu||mh122prt||All CS Students and faculty/staff/researchers/postdocs (and access from all Grad and Ugrad Linux computers)||Duplexing printer.|
|Malone G61 (Masters'/Ugrad Lab)||HP LaserJet 4350||mhg61prt.cs.jhu.edu||mhg61prt||All CS Grad and UGrad Students and faculty/staff/researchers/postdocs||Duplexing printer|
|Malone 154 (CS Office Mailroom)||Canon ImageRunner Advance C7270 color copier||copier.cs.jhu.edu||copier||All CS Students and faculty/staff/researchers/postdocs (and access from all Grad and Ugrad Linux computers)||COLOR, Duplexing printer. NOTE: Please default your print configuration to Black and White or Grayscale. Only choose Color if you need to print out specifically in color.
DRIVERS: Drivers for several computing platforms can be found here: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/copiers-mfps-fax-machines/multifunction-copiers/imagerunner-advance-c7270?tab=drivers#Z7_MQH8HIC0L88RB0AMD0F1Q42K25
There are several drivers available for this copier. Windows users can choose PCL 5/6, PS, or UFRII. Choose the one that best fits your needs. However, we've noticed that, at least for Windows, the UFRII driver works best.
NOTE: CS IT does not maintain/configure the Canon copier. If you have issues with the copier, please report those issues to staff in the CS office, MH-160.
|Malone 257A (North-end section of MH 2nd floor)||HP LaserJet p4515x||mh2ndprt1.cs.jhu.edu||N/A||All CS Non-UGrad People||Duplexing printer|
|Malone 340 (3rd floor Kitchen Area)||HP LaserJet P2055dn||mh3rdprt1.cs.jhu.edu||N/A||All CS Non-UGrad People||Duplexing printer ; not for high-volume printing. This printer was previously located in MH 322, but is now located in MH 340.
Printer supports LPD and HP JetDirect printing. It does not support IPP.
Note to Mac Users
- Macs can be somewhat tricky when configuring printers. One thing you should keep in mind when configuring one of our networked printers on your Mac is to choose to install an IP printer, put in the IP address or full hostname (with .cs.jhu.edu part) for the Address field. For the Protocol field, choose Line Printer Daemon -LPD. (That Protocol field is usually the part that most Mac users do not set, and that needs to be set to print properly to our printers, in our experience.) You can keep the Queue field blank. That should be all you need.
- If the printer is low on toner or experiencing print-quality issues, please contact email@example.com NOTE: As of 3/18/20, the CS IT staff is no longer working regularly on campus, therefore, please notify us if there is a print quality issue, but there might be a delay before we can get to the printer to change the toner.)
- If you run out of paper at the printer, please visit Malone Hall 160 (the CS main office), and request more. NOTE: You currently might need to acquire paper on your own, as staff are not currently regularly available in MH 160.
- If a CS-managed printer jams, and you are able to remove the jammed sheet, but the printer seems to hang on printing:
- Turn off the printer
- Unplug the power from the printer
- Wait at least 30 seconds.
- Plug the printer back in.
- Turn printer back on.
That usually clears out a printer's internal print queue.
- If a CS-managed printer jams, and you are unable to remove/find the paper jamming in the printer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org NOTE: As of 3/18/20, the CS IT staff is no longer working regularly on campus, therefore, please notify us if there is a print jam issue, but there might be a delay before we can get to the printer to fix the jam.