CS IT STAFF AVAILABILITY (New!)
- NOTE: Beginning March 18, 2020, and until further notice, the CS IT Support Staff will not be available in-person. We will continue being available M-F, 8:30 to 5pm, but online only. Therefore, please remember to email email@example.com for assistance. Also, please have Zoom available on your device(s), so that we can arrange to contact you using that method, as an alternative to in-person communication. We are also looking into providing a virtual version of Steve DeBlasio's daily office hours for accounts, etc.
UNPLANNED CS SERVICE OUTAGES
PHISHING EMAIL AND OTHER ACCOUNT ISSUES!
- 5/5/20: We are currently receiving a large number of phishing emails directed at the CS Department. If you receive an email with links in it and have any doubts about the email, do not click the link. You do not need to send the emails to us at this time, as we are actively tracking the situation.
- Because of these phishing attacks, if you've followed the phishing links and provided your account credentials to others, and then find you are unable to login to your CS account get your CS email, then, please see our password reset procedures. If your CS email account has been disabled, and you need you need to contact us, you will need an alternate non-CS email address to do so. Also, if you did follow a phishing link and enter your account credentials and then realize what happened, please email firstname.lastname@example.org right away, and let us know.
PLANNED CS SERVICE OUTAGES
- WHAT: CS Ugrad systems will be unavailable during a server upgrade.
- WHEN: Monday, June 29, starting at 8:30am and lasting approx. 10:30am.
- UPDATE: As of 9:30 am, the updates are complete and all ugrad services should be available again.
- We need to update firmware on the CS Ugrad home directory file server. We'll be doing that starting at 8:30am on 6/29. We expect the update process to last up to two hours (as long as there are no issues.) Because the file server will be down, there will be several CS Ugrad computing services that will be unavailable during that time:
- CS UGRAD COMPUTING SERVICES UNAVAILABLE DURING THE SERVER UPGRADE
- None of the CS Ugrad lab machines (ugrad1 through ugrad24, ugradx, ugradz) will work. They'll be running, but users won't be able to log in to them, and they'll appear to hang for users already logged in at the time the outage starts. These systems should return to normal after the outage is over.
- CS Ugrad web pages (under www.ugrad.cs.jhu.edu) will not load properly.
- Users with CS Ugrad email accounts will not be able to retrieve their mail. Sending mail will technically work, but if your mail client is configured to save copies of messages to a mail folder, that will not work (and might prevent the mail from being sent). Mail sent to CS Ugrad accounts will be available after the outage is over. (That incoming CS Ugrad mail will queue on our central mail server during the outage.)
- dbase.cs.jhu.edu, the MySQL server used for the Databases class, will be unavailable.
CS COMPUTING LAB AVAILABILITY
MH-122 (CS Undergrad Lab/Collaboration room): As of 3/13/20, closed until further notice.
- All CS Linux systems in that room (ugrad1 through ugrad12) will continue to be available remotely, via ssh.
G-61 (CS Masters/Ugrad Labs): As of 3/17/20, closed until further notice.
- For the UGrad side, although that section is closed, the Linux systems in that room (ugrad13 through ugrad24) will continue to be available remotely, via ssh.
- For the Masters side, although that section is closed, the Linux systems in that room (masters1 through masters16) will continue to be available remotely, via ssh.
AUDIO/VISUAL (A/V) OUTAGES
- None at this time.