CS IT STAFF AVAILABILITY
- Beginning March 18, 2020, and until further notice...
- The CS IT Support Staff will not be available in-person.
- We will continue being available M-F, 8:30 to 5pm, but online only.
- Therefore, please remember to email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Also, please have Zoom available on your device(s), so that we can arrange to contact you using that method, as an alternative to in-person communication.
- Steve DeBlasio now provides a virtual version of his daily office hours for accounts, etc. Email email@example.com for details.
JHU IT SERVICE OUTAGES AFFECTING CS IT SERVICES
PLANNED JHU SERVICE OUTAGES
- WHAT: Potential 1 to 2 minute power outage in Malone Hall
- WHEN: Saturday, June 26, starting at 8pm
- JHU Facilities is preparing for BGE to test electrical equipment that affects several Homewood buildings. They will be performing this test on Saturday evening, June 26 at 8pm. If you recall, back on May 6, there was a very short power outage that affected our building and others. The testing BGE will be doing is part of their troubleshooting what happened in May.
- In the case of the upcoming 6/26 testing, there is a potential for another short power outage (1 to 2 minutes) that evening.
- A short outage of this type will affect our CS servers and IT services in the following way: Although our servers should physically stay running, as they are on battery-backed equipment, because our services require network connections that are controlled by JHU (and not on battery backup), all of our CS IT services will be unavailable during the expected brief outage.
- Once the power returns, our services should be available again, because the network should be available again.
- Also, if there is indeed an outage, the CS Grad and Undergrad Lab systems (that currently, you can only access remotely) will power off. However, when power is restored, those lab systems should automatically reboot.
- Other notes: WiFi and other networking in the building would be unavailable during the outage. Most likely, lights would be unavailable. My group does not maintain J-Card systems, so we do not know how the J-Card readers will perform during a power outage.
- For your own equipment, please prepare as for any other planned power outage.
- If there are additional details that we hear of, we will update here.
CS IT SERVICE OUTAGES
UNPLANNED CS IT SERVICE OUTAGES
Issue with Grad Net Self-Service File Recovery
- WHEN: Started around October 30, 2020
- WHAT: Intermittent errors while using self-service recovery
/users/backupdirectory used for Self-Service File Recovery on the CS Grad Net Linux clients may be sporadically unavailable, due to a software bug. Although you may still attempt the self-service recovery, until further notice, if you need a file restored and are having issues accessing the
/users/backupsdirectory, please request restoration from our offline backups.
We are working on getting a fix for it, but it might be some time before that fix is available.
NOTE: Self-Service File Recovery continues to be available on the CS Ugrad Net.
PLANNED CS IT SERVICE OUTAGES
- None at this time.
CS COMPUTING LAB AVAILABILITY
MH-122 (CS Undergrad Lab/Collaboration room): As of 3/13/20, closed until further notice.
- All CS Linux systems in that room (ugrad1 through ugrad12) will continue to be available remotely, via ssh.
G-61 (CS Masters/Ugrad Labs): As of 3/17/20, closed until further notice.
- For the UGrad side, although that section is closed, the Linux systems in that room (ugrad13 through ugrad24) will continue to be available remotely, via ssh.
- For the Masters side, although that section is closed, the Linux systems in that room (masters1 through masters16) will continue to be available remotely, via ssh.
AUDIO/VISUAL (A/V) OUTAGES
- None at this time.