Obtaining CS Computer Accounts

Here is the process to obtain a CS Linux account for access to the Computers Available on the CS Network.

A CS Linux account provides:

  • A Linux shell and disk space for course work and light research.


  • A CS Linux account is not related to a JHED account. (JHED accounts are part of JHU's own accounts system.)

Obtaining The CS Account Form

  • You can pick up a CS Linux/Windows Account Form from Reatha Holt in Malone 160.
  • You can find forms outside of Malone G-61A (but, make sure you choose the CS Account Form and not the MySQL Account Form.)
  • You can download and print a copy of the CS Linux/Windows Account Form from our Forms page.

Filling Out The CS Account Form

Once you have obtained or downloaded and printed the CS Linux/Windows Account Form, please fill out the form COMPLETELY, get any authorized signatures, and then, you sign BOTH sides.

Additionally, make sure you list your JHU-assigned e-mail address on the account form. Many of our CS mailing lists use that address.

There is a section there for Permanent (non-JHU/non-CS) Email Address. We encourage you to forward your CS account (and perhaps your @jhu.edu account) to your Permanent e-mail address. Conversely, if you decide that your CS address (@cs.jhu.edu) or your @jhu.edu address should become your preferred address, then, forward your other addresses to it.

Under “Local Address”, please list your local resident street address while attending (or working at) JHU.

Indicating Your JHU Affiliation Type

The accounts form requires you to choose your JHU affiliation.

Grad Student, Faculty/Instructor, Staff, Researchers, or Postdoc CS Computer Accounts
On the CS Linux/Windows Account Form, if you're a CS grad student or CS faculty/instructor, staff, researcher or postdoc, please make sure you've checked off that you want a Linux Grad account, which will supply you with your CS e-mail address and an account to access the Grad/Research Net Linux computers that are supported by CS IT (including the Linux computers in the Master's Lab/Office).
As a CS Grad student or CS faculty member (or instructor), you are entitled to a Undergrad (Ugrad Net Linux computers) account as well, especially if you are teaching or TA'ing a CS Undergrad Course. So you might also want to check off Ugrad Linux. Grad students will probably need a Ugrad account sooner or later. Please remember, though, your CS Grad/Research Net account is your primary account (email, webpage, etc.) And, the Undergrad Net machines are subject to disk quotas.
If you already have a Grad/Research Linux account, and then later, need a Ugrad Linux or Windows account, or both) please fill out the form again indicating which other accounts you need, You'll fill in your current username after the "Already have a CS acct..." line on the form. (It might be helpful to write something along the top of the form indicating "Requesting an additional account.")
CS Grad students (PhD and Masters) should also indicate their expected graduation year on the form next to their student affiliation.
Undergrad Student Accounts
If you are a CS Undergraduate student, you will need a CS Undergrad Account to access the Undergrad Net Linux computers. (During CS Freshman orientation, you might have already filled out a special Freshman account form we prepared for that day.)

CS Undergrad students should also indicate their expected graduation year on the form next to their student affiliation.

Note: CS Linux machines have disk quotas. Please remove files you no longer need on your account after you are finished with them.
Class Accounts
If you are provided a class account by your instructor, or if you apply for one yourself, please note that class accounts are up for removal after the semester is complete.
Concurrent Students
If you start as a CS Concurrent Student (grad/ugrad at the same time) or if you were already a CS Ugrad student with a CS Ugrad account and become a Grad student, please make arrangements with CS IT Support to obtain a CS Grad/Research Net Linux account, if you'd like. However, if you do get a CS Grad/Research Net Linux account, your CS Ugrad Net e-mail will no longer be in service (although, you will have access to your old e-mail). You would now have CS Grad/Research Net mail. Your CS Ugrad account, however, will remain while you have a Grad account, until you graduate.
If you're not sure you fit into one of the listed categories on the form, for example "research scientist", please choose "Other" and specify your position within JHU, and a reason you need the account, if applicable. You will still need to get an authorized signature on your form.

Choosing your CS Account Username

NOTE: We do not change CS usernames/accounts once created.
CS Faculty, Instructors, Staff, PhD students, Post Docs, Researchers, and some others: You can generally request your own username. You should request up to three possible usernames, and we will use what we can, depending upon what's available. You can also choose to use your JHED ID as a CS username if you'd like.
CS Ugrad & Masters Students: A CS username will be assigned to you, based upon your current JHED ID.
Non-CS students taking a CS Course: We will assign you a special course-based username for your CS course account. That course account will only be valid the semester the course is taught and will be removed upon course completion.
Others: When in doubt, your can choose to request us to use your JHED ID username as your CS username too.


We require three signatures on each account form.

You will sign the front of the form and read and sign the back of the form.

You will also need to obtain an authorized signature as appropriate (and as described on the form.)

  • CS Grad students: If you don't know who should sign the form, please see Zack Burwell or Revelie Niles. Alternatively, your CS faculty advisor can also sign your form.
  • CS Undergrads: please see Dr. Joanne Selinski or Kelly Culotta (in the CS Office, MH-160.)
  • Non-CS student taking a CS class: Please have your CS professor sign the form. Your account will last for the semester.
  • New CS faculty/instructors/staff: Please get Laura Graham or the CS Dept. Chair to sign your account form.
  • Postdocs, visiting faculty, or research scientists, etc.: Please have a CS Faculty Member (or possibly, Laura Graham) sign the form.
  • Students from other depts and are not associated with CS who are requesting a CS account on our system: You must have a CS Faculty member sign the account form. That CS Faculty member is sponsoring your account. If you're an undergrad student, you would have access to our CS ugrad systems. If you're a grad student, you would have access to our CS grad network systems.

Please be sure your form has the appropriate signatures. If you will be out of town and unable to provide the appropriate signatures, please email support@cs.jhu.edu to discuss alternatives.

Submitting The Account Form

You have three ways you can submit an Accounts form for processing:

(But first, did you sign both sides and get any authorized signatures?)
  • (Preferred) You can hand in the completed form to Reatha Holt (or to office staff to give to Reatha) in Malone 160.
  • Or, you can scan both sides into a single pdf. (Remember, you must have all three signatures, yours on front and back and an authorized signature, before you scan.) Then, e-mail it to support@cs.jhu.edu
  • Or, simply "snail mail" it with all appropriate signatures to JHU Dept of Computer Science, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Md 21218 Attn: Steve DeBlasio (By the way, if you have an Android or IPhone/IPad-type of device, the Camscanner app is terrific for scanning and e-mailing a single or multipage document as a pdf.)

Processing your CS Account Form And Receiving Your CS Account

Once the form is handed in, it will be sent to CS IT support.

Please allow at least two business days for your account to be created.

  • After your account is created, you will be contacted via e-mail at one of the e-mail addresses you listed on the form (so, check all of them) by Steve DeBlasio. He will send you instructions for pick-up of the account information.
BE AWARE: If you are expecting e-mail from the CS IT Support team, and if you use Gmail, make sure you check your Gmail Junk folder. Gmail likes to file some e-mails from CS into Gmail Junk folders.
  • You'll meet with Steve DeBlasio in Malone Hall G-61A during his posted office hours (currently, most weekdays, 12:30pm to 2:30pm) to pick up your account during his posted office hours. Please bring your J-Card (preferred) or other form of picture ID.
  • If you plan to access the Ugrad Lab/CS Collaboration room (MH 122), and/or the CS Masters/Ugrad Lab (MH G-61), you will need to have your J-Card registered into our system, and Steve DeBlasio will help you with registering your J-Card into our lab readers at that time.

And finally...

If you have any problems filling out the account forms or have not received notice that your account is ready in a reasonable amount of time (at least 2 business days after submitting the form), please email support@cs.jhu.edu.